On this page we list our friends, recommended accommodations and activities, and list good places to find general information about the Big Island of Hawaii.
Table of contents
Table of Contents
1: General Information
- Hele On Bus – Schedules and Maps for the Big Island (free!) bus service
- USGS Hawaii Volcano Observatory – Volcano activity updates.
- University of Hawaii Press – Hawaiian cultural and nature books.
- Hawaii Tribune Herald – Hilo daily newspaper.
- West Hawaii Today – Kailua-Kona daily newspaper.
Big Island Blogs
Blogs give a local perspective and are another good way to prepare your stay on Hawaii. These are some blogs we enjoy to read:
- Big Island Blog – Our own (and favorite) Hawaii blog, full with information and background on Hawaiian volcanoes, astronomy, whales and more to help you make the most out of your stay on the Big Island
- damontucker.com – Local (Big Island) news that is missed by mainstream media
- My Big Island Vacation – Vacation blog of a family that loves to vacation on the Big Island
Local online Big Island retail stores
- Handmade Hawaiian Soap – Soaps, salts, lip butter, salves, lotions, and sugar scrubs. Made from the most natural and pure ingredients possible and with a touch of Hawaiian aloha.
2: Accommodations on Hawaii
Collection of websites representing good accommodation options in Hilo, Puna, Volcano, Kona, and Waimea.
Accommodation in Kailua Kona
- Boundless Hawaii – The finest in luxury Kona vacation rentals on the Big Island of Hawaii.
- Uncle Billy’s
- Kona Seaside Hotel
- Kona Tiki Hotel
- King Kamehameha’s Kona beach resort
Accommodation in Hilo
- Hale Kai Hawaii – Bed and Breakfast with panoramic view of the blue Pacific Ocean and Hilo Bay
- Arnott’s Lodge
- Hilo Bay Hostel
- Hilo Seaside Hotel
Accommodation in Puna
Accommodation in Volcano
- Hawaii Volcano Vacations – Cozy vacation rentals in the rainforest
Accommodation in Waimea/Kamuela
3: Activities on Hawaii
The following section lists a collection of local companies that organize lots of different activities on the Big Island. For a list that is more curated for popluar activities see the ‘Things to Do‘ section of our website.
Activities in Hilo
- Mehana Brewing Company – Tasting room and gift shop
- Mid Pacific Wheels – Bike Rentals
- All Kine Bicyles – Bike Rentals
- Yoga Centered is a Yoga lifestyle studio & boutique specialized in therapeutic yoga, alignment based vinyasa flow, restorative yoga, yin yoga, Buti yoga, prenatal yoga, and kids yoga too.
- Big Island Ghost Tours (Where Hawaii’s Past Has A Presence) – Explore the history and mystery of Hawai’i Island and experience Paranormal Paradise with tours that are fun for all ages. Includes historical tours, traditional ghost tours and the world’s first Hawai’i Island Vortex tour based on the book, Hawai’i Vortex Field Guide by author and BIGT creator Zach Royer. Tours are also available in Kona
Activities in Kailua Kona
- Bike Works Kona – Bike Rentals
- Mauna Kea Summit Adventures – Stargazing tours
- KonaBoys.com – Stand Up Paddle Board Rentals
- Snorkel Bob – Snorkel gear rentals
- Kamanu Charters – Dolphin and whale watching cruises
- Kona Surf Adventures – Learn to surf with the best instructors in Big Island Hawaii. All instructors are CPR, First Aid and lifeguard certified as well as trained in professional rescue. You and your family will be well taken care of
- Kona beach hotel Spa: Spa at the Kona Beach Hotel.
- Big Island Ghost tours: Tours include the Kona Haunted Hele and Kona History walk. See their full description in the ‘activities in Hilo‘ section.
Activities in Volcano
- bikevolcano.com – Bicycle Tours up and down the Volcano
Activities in Waimea/Kamuela
- Cowboys of Hawaii – Horseback guided tours
- Na’alapa Stables – Horseback guided tours
- Paniolo Adventures – Horseback guided tours
4: Eating and Drinking on Hawaii
Hawaiian Food: online shops
- Hilo Coffee Mill – Order Hawaiian coffee from Puna from your couch
- Kau Coffee Mill – Order Hawaiian Kau Coffee online
- Blue Horse Kona Coffee – State certified, superb tasting 100% Kona Coffee from our small family farm in Kona, Hawaii. Always Fast & Free Shipping!
5: Local Businesses
- The Hamakua Christmas Tree Forest is a locally owned tree farm where you can pick your own tree for the holidays.
- IslandWebtek – Web Design and Development services for the small to medium business, organizations, and non-profits. Providing Dynamic, Fast Loading, Mobile Ready, Easy Navigation, websites.
- Escape Hilo – Escape Hilo is focused on story-based mission scenarios that players need to solve. Often times the player is forced to piece together random clues within the room, hoping they are the right ones that may lead to another clue.
6: Hawaiian Islands
- Love Oʻahu – is the sister site of Love Big Island, written as a complete vacation planning guide for the island of Oʻahu.
Misc Hawaii Links
- Hawaiian shirts, Hawaiian Wedding Dresses, Kids Aloha Wear – Shaka Time Hawaiian Shirts Co. – Shaka Time Hawaiian Shirt Company offers Hawaiian Aloha shirts, dresses, clothing and island gifts for men, women, children and weddings. Free shipping always.
Survival courses on a deserted island
We recently found out about the fantastic people of desert island survival and hope they will come to Hawaii soon (we even asked!). Have a look at their website to find out about their survival courses on deserted tropical islands, currently offered in Panama and the French Polynesia.