Farmers markets are one of the little-known gems of the Big Island of Hawaii. They are spread over the whole island and with only a little planning you can stop by one for breakfast, lunch or souvenir shopping on your itinerary around the island.
Most farmers markets are only open on one or two days of the week, but there are enough markets on the Big Island to make visiting one easy without compromising your itinerary.
Table of contents
Table of Contents
At the farmers markets you can find locally grown healthy produce, freshly prepared food (breakfast and lunch) and buy handmade souvenirs to take home. Also important: by buying directly from the farmer you cut out the middle man and help to strengthen the local community!
Map of Farmers Markets on the Big Island
On this map you can see the location of all farmers markets described on this page. These markets are also described more in-depth further down this page.
Farmers Markets near Kona
Farmers markets in and around Kailua Kona and Captain Cook (south of Kona). See our dedicated page on the 6 farmers markets in the Kona district for a more in-depth description (including pictures) of these farmers markets.
Kona Village Farmers Market
- Directions: At the intersection of Hualalai Rd. and Aliʻi Dr., in the parking lot next to the Kona Public Library (across from Hale Halawai) in Kailua-Kona
- Market days: Wednesday to Sunday from 7:00 AM to 4:00 PM
- More information: Pictures, directions and more info on the Kona village farmers market.
Aliʻi Garden Market Place
- Directions: 75-6129 Aliʻi Drive, Kailua-Kona
- Market days: Tuesday – Sunday from 10:00 AM to 5:00 PM
- More information: directions and pictures of the Aliʻi garden marketplace.
Hoʻoulu Community Farmers Market
- Directions: Sheraton Kona Resort and spa at Keauhou bay: 78-128 Ehukai Street, Kailua-Kona, HI. 96740
- Market days: Every Wednesday between 09:00 AM and 2:00 PM
- More information: Directions and pictures of the Hoʻoulu community farmers market on Facebook
Keauhou Farmers Market
- Directions: Keauhou Shopping Center, fronting Ace Hardware. 78-6831 Alii Drive, Kailua-Kona, HI 96740-2440
- Market days: Saturdays between 8:00 AM and 12 PM (noon)
- More information: more information, pictures and directions for the Keauhou farmers market
South Kona Fruit Stand
- Directions: Near the old Higashi Store, between mile marker 103 &104. 84-4770 Mamalahoa Hwy, Captain Cook
- Market days: Open 9am-5pm Monday and Wednesday through Friday, Closed Tuesdays. Open on Saturday & Sunday from 10am to 4pm.
- More information: more information, pictures and directions for the South Kona fruit stand
The Pure Kona Green Market
Formerly known as the South Kona green market.
- Directions: Located at the Amy Greenwell Botanical Gardens across from the Manago hotel in Captain Cook
- Market day: Sunday between 9:00 AM and 2:00 PM
- More information: more information and directions for the Pure Kona green market.
Palisades Farmer’s Market (closed)
The Palisades Farmers Marked is not operating anymore (October 2021)
Farmers Markets near Hilo
We provide a more in-depth description of the most popular Hilo farmers markets here.
Uncles ʻAwa Bar and the Kalapana Night Market
At the end of highway 137 where the 1990 lava flow covered the majority of the Kalapana village and the famous Kaimū Black Sand Beach.
- Directions: 12-5038 Kalapana Kapoho Beach Rd, Pāhoa, HI 96778.
- Market days:
- More information: The venue for the farmers market (Uncles ʻAwa Club) is also opened daily from 7:00 AM on. There is a smoothie shack and ‘Uncles Kitchen’ which serves BBQ plates, local style food plates, burgers, appetizers, and fresh fish burgers or plates from 11 am till 7 pm. Uncles ʻAwa Bar is open from 10 am till closing (website).
Hakalau Farmers market and food share
The Hakalau Farmers market is a small market that is located on the terrains of the Botanical World Adventures.
- Directions: TEMPORARY Location: Hakalau Veteran’s Park (see the website linked below for the most recent location)
- Market Day: Tuesdays afternoon between 3 pm and 5 pm
- More information: at the Hakalau farmers market website.
Hilo Coffee Mill “Market @ The Mill”
(between Hilo and Volcano)
- Directions: Hilo Coffee Mill Farm, 17-995 Volcano Rd. (Between Mile Markers 12 and 13)
- Market days: Saturday between 9:00 AM and 2:00 PM
- More information: Market @ the mill website
Hilo’s Farmer’s Market
- Directions: Corner of Kamehameha Avenue and Mamo Street
- Market days: Wednesday and Saturday between 7:00 AM and 2:00 PM. The market is also open all other days of the week between 10 a.m. and 2 p.m., but there will be less vendors.
- More information: Directions and photos of the Hilo Farmers Market
The Hilo Farmers market is the largest and most popular farmers market on the Big Island for a reason. On market days there are over 200 vendors selling fresh produce and locally made crafts. See the following video for an impression of the market:
Makuʻu Farmers Market
- Directions: on the Makuʻu Farmer’s lot along the Keaau/Pahoa Hwy. bypass road between Keaau and Pahoa
- Market day: Sunday between 8:00 AM and 2:00 PM
- More information: Very large farmers market with about 200 vendors selling Hawaiian crafts, plants, produce, jewelry, shells, ethnic and recycled clothing, food, live music, records/cd’s and books. There is a $2 parking fee. Read more details on their website.
Pāhoa Community Farmer’s Market
- Directions: At the Pahoa Regional (or District) Park on Kauhale st. in the parking lot above the skate park
- Market day: Sunday from 7:00 AM to noon
- More information: This is a new (since October 4, 2020) market so expect not too many vendors..
Panaʻewa Farmers Market
- Directions: This market is located at 363 Railroad Ave in Hilo (across form the Home Depot parking lot)
- Market days: Saturday between 06:00 and 10:00 AM.
- More information: Pictures and directions for the Keaukaha Panaewa farmers market
Kinoole Farmers Market
- Directions: next to Kuwate Seed Shop, two streets Ma Uka of Puainako Town Center. 1990 Kinoole Street, Hilo, HI
- Market days: Saturday between 6:30 AM and 12:00 PM (noon)
- More information: Pictures and directions for the Kinoole farmers market
Farm-to-Car market in Keaʻau
- Directions: Pickup is at the Puna Hongwanji Mission in Keaʻau.
- Order days: The online marketplace is open for purchases from Friday 10 AM to Monday 6PM
- Pickup Day: Wednesday from 3 PM to 6 PM
- More information: This is a weekly virtual farmers market with an online shopping platform where consumers can purchase local produce, meats, eggs, cheeses, baked goods, and value-added products. For more information and to place your orders, go to the Farm-to-Car website.
Keaʻau Village Farmers Market
- Directions: 16-0573 Old Volcano Road, Keaau, HI
- Market days: Tuesday to Saturday between 7:00 AM and 5:00 PM
- More information: Pictures and directions for the Keaʻau village farmers market
Hilo Town (Friday Night) Market
New to the island with the kick off event on October 1st, 2021. Here are the preliminary details:
- Directions: 69 Waianuenue Avenue (near The Temple and Jackie Rey’s — directly across the street from Mo’s Fish & Chips)
- Market days: Friday afternoon/evening from 5pm – 8pm
- More information: See the Hilo Town Market website.
Volcano and Kaʻu Farmers Markets
Farmers markets near and in Volcano Village. The Kaʻu farmers market is on the road between Kona and Volcano.
Volcano Farmers Market
- Directions: 19-4030 Wright Road, Cooper Center, Volcano, HI
- Market days: Sunday between 6:30 AM and 10:00 AM
- More information: Directions and photos of the Volcano Village Farmers Market
Kaʻu (Naʻalehu) Farmers Market
(in Naʻalehu between Volcano and Kona)
- Directions: The Ma Uka (mountain) side of the highway just before the 77 gas station and Bay Clinic (when coming from Hilo/volcano).
- Market days: Wednesday and Saturday from 8:00 AM to noon (Wednesday is the main market day with most vendors)
- More information: Directions and photos of the Kaʻu (Naʻalehu) Farmers Market website
Paradise Meadows in Kaʻu (farm stand)
(not a farmers market but a farm stand with locally produced produce, coffee, honey, macnuts, and chocolate)
Paradise meadows is a 75 acre farm close to the most southern point of the USA. Their farm stand is open 7 days a week from 9 AM – 5:30 PM where you can get free samples of the products in sale and also get enjoy a brief tour of the farm.
- Directions: About 7/10ths of a mile down South Point rd from the turnoff at Hwy 11 (between mile markers 69 and 70)
- Farm stand days: the stand is open 7 days a week from 9 AM – 5:30 PM
- More information: on the Paradise Meadows website.
Waimea Farmers Markets
Farmers markets in and around Waimea including one in Hawi (north of Waimea) and Waikoloa (between Waimea and Kona). We have dedicated a spacial page on the 4 most popular farmers markets in Waimea (market days: Saturday and Wednesday) where you can a more in-depth description and photos.
Farmers’ Market at Hāmākua Harvest
The Sunday Farmers’ Market at Hāmākua Harvest offers only locally produced goods, ono food, live music and a free educational event weekly. Drink a coconut, buy a t-shirt and experience the warm hospitality of Hamakua. SNAP/EBT welcome!
- Directions: At the intersection of Mamane St. and Hwy 19 in Historic Honoka’a Town
- Market days: Sunday between 9:00 AM and 2:00 PM
- More information: Email [email protected] or go this farmers’ market website for more information.
Waikoloa Saturday Market (closed)
- Directions: Waikoloa Community Church Parking Lot. 68-3625 Paniolo Ave., Waikoloa, HI
- Market days: Saturday between 8:00 AM and 1:00 PM
- More information: see the Waikoloa Saturday market facebook page for details.
Waimea Town Market
- Directions: Parker School Behind the Paniolo Country Inn. 65-1224 Lindsey Road, Kamuela, HI
- Market days: Saturday from 7:30 AM to noon
- More information: Pictures and directions for the Waimea town farmers market
Waimea Midweek farmers market
- Directions: Pukalani Stables. 67-139 Pukalani Road, Kamuela, HI
- Market days: Wednesday between 9:00 AM and 2:00 PM
- More information: Directions and more info on the mid-week Waimea farmers market
Note that this is a *farm* market, not a *farmers* market. This means that you can buy farm-fresh produce from one provider (the Kekela farm) at the following two locations:
- Directions: 64-604 Mana Road, Kamuela, HI 96743
- Market days: Tuesday between 2:00 PM and 5:00 PM at 64-604 Mana Road
- Directions (2): Waimea Town Market at Parker School, Kamuela
- Market days (2): Saturday between 8:00 AM and 1:00 PM
- More information: Kekela farm website
Hawaiian Homestead Farmers Market (closed)
Sadly this market has been closed until further notice (March 2020).
- Directions: At the Waimea Middle and Waimea Elementary School Playground: 67-1229 Mamalahoa Highway, Kamuela, Hawaii 96743
- Market days: Saturday from 7:00 AM to 12:00 PM (noon)
- More information: Directions and more information on the Hawaiian Homestead farmers market
Kamuela Farmers Market
- Directions: Pukalani Stables. 67-139 Pukalani Road, Kamuela, HI
- Market days: Saturday from 7:00 AM to noon
- More information: Directions and more information on the Kamuela farmers market
Kings’ Shops Farmers Market (at the Waikoloa beach resort)
- Directions: 250 Waikoloa Beach Dr, Waikoloa Village, HI 96738, USA
- Market days: every Tuesday from 9 AM to 2:30 PM
- More information: The Kings’ Shops weekly Farmers Market is held throughout the center and features local produce, crafts and freshly made pastries and jams. More information at the ‘weekly events’ section of the kingsshops website.
Under the Banyan’s Farmers’ Market (Hawi farmers market)
- Directions: Held at the Kohala Village Hub on 55-514 Hawi Rd, Hawi, HI 96719.
- Market days: every Saturday from 8:00 am to 12:30 pm at the 1Heart Hub
- More information: Read more about this farmers market on Hawi famers market facebook page.