The two most popular farmers markets in the Kona area are the Kona farmers market in central Kona and the South Kona Green market in Captain Cook. There are however many more farmers markets in and near Kona that you can visit:
- Kona Sunset Farmers Market (1.5 miles north of downtown Kona)
- Kona village Farmers Market (Kona)
- Alii Garden Market Place (3 miles south of downtown Kona)
- Keauhou Farmers Market (Keauhou, 6 miles south of Kona)
- Ho’oulu Community Farmers Market (Keauhou, 7.5 miles south of Kona)
- The Pure Kona Green Market (Captain Cook, 13 miles south of Kona)
- South Kona Fruit Stand (Captain Cook, 19 miles south of Kona)
See our list of all farmers markets on the Big Island for an overview of all local farmers markets.
The Kona Farmers Market
The Kona Farmers Market is a large market located in the heart of Kona close to Kailua Bay. You can find plenty of fresh fruits and vegetables, flowers and hand-made local arts and crafts. This is a good place to stock up on healthy snacks (apple bananas or lilikoi are very handy to pack) for a day trip or to buy gifts to take home.
Directions and opening hours
The Kona farmers market is located on Ali’i drive just south of Kailua Bay in the heart of Kailua Kona. It is open Wednesdays through Sundays between 7 a.m. and 4 p.m.
You can find more information on the unofficial website of the Kona Farmers Market.
The Pure Kona Green Market
The Pure Kona green market Market (formerly known as the South Kona green market) is committed to sustainability, natural practices, and working with the earth to produce quality food and art for our local community. Stop by to get their weekly produce, enjoy a meal, and stay for the day.
For a more thorough review we recommend this report by Sonia Martinez for the Hawai’i homegrown food network.
Directions and opening hours
This farmers market is an all local farmers and artists market held at the Amy Greenwell Botanical Gardens at 82-6188 Mamalahoa Highway at mile marker 110, just across from the Manago hotel in Captain Cook . Market days are every Sunday between 9:00 am and 2:00 pm. You can find them on facebook here.
Kona Sunset Farmers Market
- Directions: 74-5465 Kamakaeha Avenue. Makalapua Center – In front of K-Mart, Kailua-Kona
- Market days: Wednesday from 2:00 PM until dark
- More information: directions and more info on the Kona farmers market
Alii Garden Market Place
- Directions: 75-6129 Alii Drive, Kailua-Kona
- Market days: Wednesday – Sunday from 9:00 AM to 5:00 PM
- More information: directions and pictures of the Alii garden marketplace.
Kona Village Market Place
- Directions: 75-5767 Ali’i Dr, Kailua-Kona, HI 96740
- Market days: Wednesday – Sunday from 7:00 AM to 4:00 PM
- More information: directions and pictures of the Kona Village Farmers Market.
Ho’oulu Community Farmers Market
- Directions: Sheraton Kona Resort and spa at Keauhou bay: 78-128 Ehukai Street, Kailua-Kona, HI. 96740
- Market days: Every Wednesday between 09:00 AM and 2:00 PM
- More information: Directions and pictures of the Ho’oulu community farmers market
Keauhou Farmers Market
- Directions: Keauhou Shopping Center, fronting Ace Hardware. 78-6831 Alii Drive, Kailua-Kona, HI 96740-2440
- Market days: Saturdays between 8:00 AM and 12 PM (noon)
- More information: more information, pictures and directions for the Keauhou farmers market
South Kona Fruit Stand
- Directions: Near the old Higashi Store, between mile marker 103 &104. 84-4770 Mamalahoa Hwy, Captain Cook
- Market days: Monday to Saturday from 9:00 AM to 6:00 PM, Sunday from 10:00 AM to 4:00 PM
- More information: more information, pictures and directions for the South Kona fruit stand
Farmers markets on other parts of the Big Island
You can find farmers markets all over the island. Because most markets are only open one or two days of the week visiting them requires some preparation. You can find more information directions and opening days on the larger farmers markets here: