Kailua-Kona is the main tourist destination on the Big Island. There are many places to choose from if you feel like having a bite – whether you want to grab a quick coffee or a snack, or a complete (high-end) dinner.
This page contains the places we like to visit in Kailua Kona and on the south Kona coast, and is by no means meant as a complete list of dining options.
Restaurants in Kailua-Kona
- Willie’s Hot Chicken (website).
- Umekes (website).
- Broke de Mouth (website) (optional, order take-out and go to Old Airport Beach for sunset dinner.
- Pine Tree Cafe (website). Not a sit-down restaurant but GREAT for take-out.
- Super J’s (on facebook). A small family owned and operated food stop – try their pork and poi lau lau if you want to try a local favorite.
- Black Rock Pizza (website).
- Teshima’s (website). Long-running eatery serving up simple Japanese comfort food in a simple, old-school atmosphere.
- Magic’s Beach Grill (website). Opposite Magic sands beach for an after meal swim or just to watch the waves, Magic’s offers tasty creative dishes and a nice drink menu. Get a seat in the sand out front to watch the waves or out back on the deck for sunset.
- Kenichi’s (website). Don’t let their location fool you – Kenichi’s is located in a mall but serves GREAT and reasonable priced sushi. Also a really good choice for breakfast.
- Tea:licious Cafe (website). Great sandwiches, salads, tea, and coffee.
- Peaberry & Galette (website): A small coffee shot that makes GREAT galettes (pancakes) in the Keauhou shopping center.
Big Island Grill
Honest local food in big portions for a fair price. Only a couple of minutes away from touristy Ali’i drive and the bay front, this is a good choice if your day full of beach and sunshine has left you craving a large meal. Try their loco moco or teriyaki chicken if you have trouble making a choice. Don’t expect a cute little eatery though, since the decor is somewhat lacking.
You can find Big Island Grill at 75-5702 Kuakini Hwy Kailua-Kona, HI 96740, and call them at (808) 326-1153. Opening times are 7:00 am to noon on Sundays, and 7:00 am to 9:00 pm all other days of the week.
Breakfast in Kailua-Kona
two one favorite place to have breakfast in downtown Kailua – and it has excellent ocean views:
- The Fish hopper (website), and
Restaurants in South Kona / Captain Cook
The Coffee Shack
The Coffee Shack in Captain Cook serves great coffee, breakfast, and lunch (get their homemade bread if you can). The views from the terrace are out of this world and this stop should be included in any road trip taking you for a Kona Coffee tour, a visit to the Pu’uhonua o Honaunau National Historical Park, or a snorkeling trip to two step or Captain Cook.
Black Rock Pizza
If you feel like a great pizza that is hand-made from sauce to crust you should check out Black Rock Pizza in Captain Cook. Their amazing patio view and excellent service is another plus.