Tour Summary: Rappel down 120 feet past Hawaii’s largest privately accessible waterfall supervised by expert canyoneering guides.
- Supervised by a professional canyoneering guide.
- Experience the powerful Kulaniapia Falls like no other as you rappel down right next to the waterfall.
- This rappelling experience is accessible to beginners and enjoyable by guests of all skill levels.
- Small group tour: between 3 and 8 participants.
- At 120ft, the Kulaniapia Falls are 40ft taller than the famous Rainbow Falls!
Important: Ages 10+, guests should have a moderate physical fitness level
|(excluding taxes & fees)||$249|
Tour Provider: Kulaniapia Falls
Tour start time: 10:30am, 2pm
Duration: 2-3 hours
Departure from: Hilo
Pick-up available? No
Included: All safety equipment
Cancellations: Customers will receive a full refund or credit with 48 hours notice of cancellation for 2 guests, 72 hours for 3-4 guests, and 7+ days for 5 or more guests. Customers will also receive a full refund or credit in case of operator cancellation due to safety or other unforeseen circumstances, however, please note, this tour operates rain or shine. On days when swimming is not safe, you may still access the trails, etc, but we do not provide refunds in such cases. Contact us by phone at 808-935-6789 to cancel or inquire about a cancellation. No-shows will be charged the full price.
Read more: about waterfalls in our Big Island waterfalls guide.
The only waterfall rappel on the island!
This adventure takes you 120 feet down Kulaniapia Falls. Led by our team of expert canyoneering guides, you will feel the power of Hawaii’s largest privately accessible waterfall, up close and personal, and may get wet…
See the following 1-minute video to get an impression of what to expect:
Small group tour (between 3 and 8 guests)
This tour requires a minimum number of 3 participants. If that minimum amount is not met on the day of your tour (so if you are a 1 or 2 person group and no one else reserved for that day/time) you can choose 1 from 3 options:
- Reschedule your tour to a different date
- Cancel your tour and receiving a full refund
- Paying an extra fee ($50/person for two people, $300 if you are the only one) to make it a private super-small group tour.
You can give your preference regarding the above options during the booking process.
Access to the waterfall for non-rappelling group members
Access to Kulaniapia Falls is included with your waterfall rappel, and non-rappelling members of your group may purchase a day pass so they can explore the on-property nature trails, and swim, kayak and paddleboard under the largest privately accessible waterfall in the state of Hawaiʻi.
Read more about the waterfall daypass.
Good to know:
- This rappelling experience is accessible to beginners and enjoyable by guests of all skill levels, but guests should have a moderate physical fitness level
- It runs RAIN OR SHINE but may be cancelled due to unsafe river conditions. If this happens you will be given the option of an alternative date or full refund
- This experience requires a minimum number of travelers. If it’s canceled because the minimum isn’t met, you’ll be offered a different date/experience or a full refund
- You may get wet regardless of the weather.
- Not recommended for pregnant travelers
- No heart problems or other serious medical conditions
- Not recommended for travelers with back problems
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Guests must weigh between 70 and 240 lbs.
- Children must be accompanied by an adult
What is Waterfall Rappelling?
Waterfall rappelling is also known as canyoning and the concept is simple: suit up in a harness and belay your way down a waterfall.
In practice, the sport is more exciting and more fun than you probably are imagining. It involves a small hike to the top of a waterfall, climbing and, yes, rappelling. Always wear lightweight or quick-drying clothing and your most water-resistant shoes. And if you can bear, leave the camera behind to protect it or ask about bringing your GoPro.
We are affiliate partners with Kulaniapia Falls and any booking on this page you make is made directly with Kulaniapia Falls. We receive a percentage from the activity provider for each successful booking made through our website but this happens without any additional charge to you. (read more on the use of those links on our website here).
By booking tours through our website you support LoveBigIsland.com and help us to provide you and future visitors with free and high quality information about the Big Island. Thanks, you guys are amazing!