Tour Summary: Small group horseback riding tour over trails in the majestic Waipiʻo Valley - great for families and includes transport down into the valley.
- Local guides share the legends and history of the rich cultural landscape throughout the tour
- Sample rare fruit from the family farm and see Hawaiʻi's staple food crop, Kalo, grown in the valley since ancient times
- Ride through small rivers and streams and see the beautiful vegetation and waterfalls
- No prior horseback riding experience needed and great for families (from 7 y.o.)
Important: The tour is suitable for children from 7 years old, and there is a 200 lbs (91 kg) weight limit for participants. Please arrive 15 to 30 minutes before check in to assure a timely departure.
|(excluding booking fee)||$150|
Tour Provider: Waipio on Horseback
Tour start time: 9:30am, 1:30pm
Duration: 3 hours
Departure from: Waipio Valley
Pick-up available? No
Included: Transport down to the valley floor and up again
Cancellations: Groups of 5 participants (or less) will receive a full refund with 48 hours notice of cancellation. Groups of 6 or more participants will need to provide 72 hours notice. Customers will also receive a full refund in case of operator cancellation due to weather or other unforeseen circumstances. Notice needs to be given by phone (+1 808 775 7291) and no-shows will be charged the full price. For an additional $5 it is possible to shorten the cancellation notice period to 24 hours.
Read more: about horseback riding on the Love Big Island website in our horseback riding guide.
Due to COVID-19, all guests must follow the following policies:
- Wear a face mask
- Pass a mandatory health screening at the entrance
- Practice Social Distancing when possible
- Provide contact information when booking for contact tracing purposes.
Ride with a local guide and journey deeper into Waipiʻo Valley over lush jungle trails and through rivers and streams. Waipiʻo Valley is one of the most beloved and revered places in all Hawaiʻi. Lined by cascading waterfalls and 3,000 foot shear cliffs, exploring the rainforest and farmland and meeting the wild horses that also live in the valley is a mystical experience.
The tour starts at the Waipiʻo on Horseback Ranch located just off Highway 240, and starts with a very scenic but bumpy 30 minute shuttle ride to stables down in the valley. Keep your camera ready to catch some great views of Waipiʻo’s one mile long black sand beach and the spectacular Hiʻilawe twin waterfall.
Down into the valley
Upon arrival at the stables, riders receive a safety demonstration and meet their horse. Once in the saddle, the trek takes a leisurely pace allowing riders to appreciate an unforgettable perspective of Waipiʻo’s incredible beauty while our horses lead the way and meander alongside the food crops of old; green fields of kalo, rare Hawaiian bananas, sugarcane, coconut and breadfruit, to name just a few. When in season, get a close up view of the sacred lotus flower and savor the taste of exotic fruits from the family farm.
Local guides make sure the group stays together and share their knowledge about local plants and trees, and about the legends and history of this rich cultural landscape throughout the journey.
Good to know:
- The valley floor can be muddy so try to bring a washable pair of sneakers. For your comfort we also recommend riders to wear long pants and a hat.
- The tour departs twice daily but if you have the chance we recommend to go early. It can get hot and humid in the valley and the mornings often bring cooler and crisp air.
- Free cancellation for this tour is available if you give notice by phone at least 48 hours in advance (+1 808 775 7291). During the booking process you can pay an extra $5 to be able to cancel for free with only 24 hours of notice (minus ticketing and insurance fee). This insurance is a good option for people who put great import in (sunny) weather, but in practice the weather in the valley is so unpredictable that we generally do not recommend people to take this extra insurance.
- The ranch also organizes a UTV adventure that explores the working livestock ranch and farm operation with a tour that takes you through a traditional land division (Ahupuaʻa) that stretches from the mountain to the ocean and is home to native flora and fauna. Read more about that tour here.
We are affiliate partners with Waipio on Horseback meaning that we receive a percentage for each successful booking made through our website. This happens without any additional charge to you! (read more on the use of those links on our website here).
By booking tours through our website you support LoveBigIsland.com and help us to provide you and future visitors with free and high quality information about the Big Island. Thanks, you guys are amazing!