Tour Summary: A scenic UTV + Farm tour that takes you from fertile gardens and a working livestock ranch to sweeping grasslands, oceanfront, and tree canopies
- Travel through a traditional land division (Ahupua’a) that stretches from the mountain to the ocean and is home to native flora and fauna
- Great adventure if you are looking for an educational experience filled with beautiful views
- UTV ride around a working farm showing the different crops and animals raised there
Important: Ages: 7+ years old, must weigh less than 275 lbs. Wearing closed toe shoes and long pants is highly recommended.
|(excluding taxes & fees)||$150|
Tour Provider: All About the View
Tour start time: 10 am, 2 pm
Duration: 2.5 hours
Departure from: Hamakua Coast
Pick-up available? No
Cancellations: Customers will receive a full refund or credit with 48 hours notice of cancellation. Customers will also receive a full refund or credit in case of operator cancellation due to weather or other unforeseen circumstances. Contact us by phone at (808) 775-7291 to cancel or inquire about a cancellation. No-shows will be charged the full price.
Read more: about atv on the Love Big Island website in our atv guide.
This scenic UTV tour takes you through many different landscapes, from fertile gardens and a working livestock ranch to sweeping grasslands, oceanfront, and tree canopies. Enchanting wildlife abound, both on land and in the water, and the views of the family-owned Waipiʻo on Horseback Ranch inspire awe from start to finish.
Good to know: more a farm tour than an ATV adrenaline rush
This tour is different from most ATV and UTV adventures. It is an UTV tour because participants will get to tour the farm in a UTV vehicle, but the tour itself consist of driving through the farm in a rather unspectacular way. This is more a farm tour and less an adrenaline-filled race around a track.
Great for all ages!
All UTV vehicles are equipped with a roll-bar and side-netting, making them suitable for everyone aged 7 and above.
Typical Farm Tour itinerary
The tour begins at the Waipiʻo on Horseback Ranch, a working livestock ranch and farm operation sharing exclusive views of enchanting Hamakua coast. This ranch covers a complete traditional land division (Ahupua’a) that stretches from the mountain to the ocean and is home to native flora and fauna.
After a short instruction you will start exploring the farm on UTV and make 4 to 8 stops depending on the weather and condition of the trail. At every stop the local guides engage and talk about the ranch history, present planting projects, and the importance of the rich cultural landscape. There is a lot of history in this property and the guides giving the tours are very knowledgeable!
Some distinguishing features of the farm are:
- Fishponds full of Hamakua sunfish on your tour.
- Dwarf coconuts, breadfruit trees, kukui nut, sugar cane, taro, sweet potato and multiple varieties of heirloom bananas
- The historic Hamakua ditch. This engineering masterpiece built in 1906 was the lifeline to sugarcane’s century of success and today benefits farmers and wildlife.
- A spring-fed reservoir where cattle roam and horses take leisurely swims
- Sweeping grasslands and panoramic views where intact old-growth forests stand deep in gulches where precious ‘io and pueo, the Hawaiian hawk and Hawaiian owl, make their nest in these towering giants.
- A herd of adopted rescue herd of Kona Nightingales. These small donkeys are descendants of a bygone era when coffee plantations depended on their muscle and sturdiness, if left alone at night they would bray to companions in the distance inspiring the name “Nightingale” from the nocturnal songbird.
- Ocean views: Taste salt on the wind and hear waves pound against the sheer cliffs while we cruise under a canopy of ironwood trees near remnants of old Hawaiian settlements. The dry-stacked rock walls and cattle enclosures, tunnels and trails are sure to conjure visions of old-time Hawai’i commerce and travel. On a clear day, view north face cliffs of Waipi’o, Pololu and even Maui on the horizon.
During the COVID-19 pandemic, all guests must follow these policies:
- Wear a face mask
- Pass a mandatory health screening at the entrance
- Practice Social Distancing when possible
- Provide contact information when booking for contact tracing purposes
We are affiliate partners with All About the View meaning that we receive a percentage for each successful booking made through our website. This happens without any additional charge to you! (read more on the use of those links on our website here).
By booking tours through our website you support LoveBigIsland.com and help us to provide you and future visitors with free and high quality information about the Big Island. Thanks, you guys are amazing!