Tour Summary: A full-day rainforest adventure for all ages. See the northern Kohala highlights with this 8-hour adventure and visit 7 stunning private waterfalls (and swim in one!), make small hikes, and admire the sweeping views and scenic coastlines and rugged valleys. A picnic lunch and hotel transport are included for a hassle-free experience.
- Stress-free Kohala waterfalls adventure package perfect for first-timers
- Ramble off-road in a 6-wheel-drive Pinzgauer (an Austrian military vehicle)
- Take a relaxed, guided walk through a private nature reserve
- Cool off with a swim under one of seven cascading waterfalls
- Walk through a restored ancient Hawaiian agricultural site
- Enjoy a private picnic lunch with views of soaring seacliffs and remote valleys, at one of the island’s best scenic lookouts
- No-hassle transportation from Kona, Waikoloa, or Kohala Beach hotels
Important: Bring (or wear) comfortable walking shoes or reef walkers, bathing suit, hat, sunscreen and a light jacket or sweatshirt.
|(excluding booking fee)||$190||$165|
Tour Provider: Hawaii Forest and Trail
Tour start time: 6:50 am
Duration: 8 hours
Departure from: Hawi
Pick-up available? Yes! Several pickup points between Kona and Hawi starting at ~ 6am
Included: Walking sticks, warm wear, day packs and rain ponchos are provided together with Deli-style lunch with assorted beverages. Sunscreen and bug spray are available upon request.
Cancellations: Guests of the regular tours will receive a full refund with 48 hours notice of cancellation. Private tours customers will receive a full refund with 72 hours notice of cancellation.
Read more: about waterfalls on the Love Big Island website in our waterfalls guide.
Hawaii Forest & Trail takes the following steps to prioritize the health and safety of their visitors and staff:
Based on guidance and requirements by the State of Hawaii and CDC the following health and safety requirements will need to be met in order to join any Hawaii Forest & Trail tour:
- Proof of a negative COVID-19 test through the Hawaii Safe Travel Program or proof of 14 day quarantine (airline generated flight itinerary) Test results must be presented upon check-in.
- Health Questionnaire and temperature check with contactless infrared thermometer completed prior to your participation
- Face masks are required at all times in our vehicles and wherever social distancing is not possible. Guests agree to follow guide instructions.
- Small groups: Group sizes are limited to 9 guests.
- Guest time in the van has been minimized wherever possible. Pickup points closer to tour destinations have been added and are actively encouraged.
- Additional options for private family experiences have been added at a reduced rate.
- All vehicles and gear are sanitized following every tour using commercial grease sanitizing equipment with CDC approved sanitizers.
- All staff are required to complete a daily health screening and temperature check before starting their shift
- Face Masks are worn at all times in the vans and on the HF&T facility.
- Protocols to reduce contact between employees have been put in place
- Access to free COVID-19 testing is made available through the state of Hawaii.
The Kohala Waterfall Adventure is a small-group adventure tour that lets you explore the beautiful and historic north Kohala forests and waterfalls.
Starting from the pickup points in Kona you are driven along the sweeping northern Kona coast past ancient lava flows up to the old Kohala Mule Station lookout with its sweeping views. Later you transfer to an off-road vehicle to get off the beaten path and take a small hike along the tunnels and aqueducts of an over 100 year old sugar plantation. The hike takes you past 7 waterfalls with as grand finale a cooling dip in the final one!
After the dip you hike back to a private picnic area with sweeping views of the Kohala coast for a lunch, after which you will be brought back to your point of departure.
Some frequently asked questions are:
Q: How much hiking do we do?
A: Expect to cover approximately 1.5 miles in 1 – 2 hours.
Q: What about elevation gain?
A: Expect to do minimal climbing. The estimated elevation gain over the course of the hike is about 200’ (60 meters).
What is the water temperature in the pool we swim in?
A: Water temperature varies by season and the amount of rainfall. Temperatures range between 60 and 70 degrees F (15 and 21 degrees Celcius).
Video of the Kohala Waterfall Adventure:
Hawaii Forest & Trail is a highly respected local tour company that has operated on the Big Island since 1993. They have gained access to private and restricted lands and are widely recognised as a tour company that has passionate and knowledgeable interpretative guides, all of which translates into consistent stellar reviews from their past guests.
Hawaii Forest & Trail is fully certified by the Sustainable Tourism Association of Hawai’i. This means that their tours are eco-friendly, culturally educational and operate as sustainable as possible.
The HFT staff are picked to have strong academic backgrounds in biology, geology, Hawaiian culture and history, and extensive natural history field experience. It’s not enough for the guides to simply “know things”, they must also have a real passion for Hawaii’s natural world and enthusiasm for sharing it.
Giving back to the community
The vision of Hawaii Forest & Trail is to share the splendor of Hawai’i and inspire a deep connection with our natural world. They donate a small amount ($1 per guest) to a fund that makes donations to non-profit organizations whose mission and work aligns with at least one of the following criteria:
- benefits the conservation of Hawaii’s native ecosystems, species and landscapes.
- promulgates the understanding and practise of Hawaiian culture and the dissemination and understanding of Hawaii’s natural and cultural history.
- promotes and facilitates an appreciation and interaction with nature, especially programs that are youth oriented.
It is the intent of the fund to give preference to entities who are based or whose work is performed in the communities where they operate tours.
We are affiliate partners with Hawaii Forest and Trail meaning that we receive a percentage for each successful booking made through our website. This happens without any additional charge to you! (read more on the use of those links on our website here).
By booking tours through our website you support LoveBigIsland.com and help us to provide you and future visitors with free and high quality information about the Big Island. Thanks, you guys are amazing!