Tour Summary: Swim under a 120 foot private waterfall, visit a cacao farm for a tour + tasting, and explore another waterfall + the rich heritage of Hilo while traveling to see historic landmarks over old Hawaii’s charming back-roads and scenic byways.
- View 4 different waterfalls from almost every angle
- Swim under a 120 foot private waterfall
- A tree-to-chocolate cacao farm farm tour (including tasting!)
- Learn the history of Hilo as you drive along the bay shore
- Includes a locally made lunch overlooking a waterfall
- Small group tour: between 4 and max. 12 people.
Important: Bring a swimsuit, comfortable walking shoes, a hat, sunscreen and a light sweatshirt or jacket. Guests should be able to walk on uneven or rocky terrain. Cool, wet or muddy conditions may occur during this tour.
|(excluding booking fee)||$149||$124|
Tour Provider: Hawaii Forest and Trail
Tour start time: 10 am
Duration: 4 hours
Departure from: Hilo
Pick-up available? Yes, from several location in Hilo including the Hilo Pier (at 09:30, for cruise ship passengers) and the Hilo Airport.
Included: Lunch, snacks, and beverages are provided.
Cancellations: Customers will receive a full refund with 48 hours notice of cancellation. Private tours: Customers will receive a full refund with 72 hours notice of cancellation. Cancellations within the cancellation period and “no-shows” will be charged the FULL AMOUNT of the tour.
Read more: about waterfalls on the Love Big Island website in our waterfalls guide.
Hawaii Forest & Trail takes the following steps to prioritize the health and safety of their visitors and staff:
Based on guidance and requirements by the State of Hawaii and CDC the following health and safety requirements will need to be met in order to join any Hawaii Forest & Trail tour:
- Proof of a negative COVID-19 test through the Hawaii Safe Travel Program or proof of 14 day quarantine (airline generated flight itinerary) Test results must be presented upon check-in.
- Health Questionnaire and temperature check with contactless infrared thermometer completed prior to your participation
- Face masks are required at all times in our vehicles and wherever social distancing is not possible. Guests agree to follow guide instructions.
- Small groups: Group sizes are limited to 9 guests.
- Guest time in the van has been minimized wherever possible. Pickup points closer to tour destinations have been added and are actively encouraged.
- Additional options for private family experiences have been added at a reduced rate.
- All vehicles and gear are sanitized following every tour using commercial grease sanitizing equipment with CDC approved sanitizers.
- All staff are required to complete a daily health screening and temperature check before starting their shift
- Face Masks are worn at all times in the vans and on the HF&T facility.
- Protocols to reduce contact between employees have been put in place
- Access to free COVID-19 testing is made available through the state of Hawaii.
The eastern coast of the Big Island is know for its lush green forests and landscapes, waterfalls (many waterfalls!), and delicious tropical fruits.
This tour lets you explore the rich heritage of Hilo and travel old Hawaii’s charming back-roads and scenic byways to visit historic landmarks, beautiful waterfalls and a “tree-to-chocolate bar cacao farm. Enjoy a locally made lunch and swim under a 120 foot private waterfall.
Hawaii Forest & Trail is a highly respected local tour company that has operated on the Big Island since 1993. They have gained access to private and restricted lands and are widely recognized as a tour company that has passionate and knowledgeable interpretative guides, all of which translates into consistent stellar reviews from their past guests.
Hawaii Forest & Trail is fully certified by the Sustainable Tourism Association of Hawai’i. This means that their tours are eco-friendly, culturally educational and operate as sustainable as possible.
The HFT staff are picked to have strong academic backgrounds in biology, geology, Hawaiian culture and history, and extensive natural history field experience. It’s not enough for the guides to simply “know things”, they must also have a real passion for Hawaii’s natural world and enthusiasm for sharing it.
Giving back to the community
The vision of Hawaii Forest & Trail is to share the splendor of Hawai’i and inspire a deep connection with our natural world. They donate a small amount ($1 per guest) to a fund that makes donations to non-profit organizations whose mission and work aligns with at least one of the following criteria:
- benefits the conservation of Hawaii’s native ecosystems, species and landscapes.
- promulgates the understanding and practice of Hawaiian culture and the dissemination and understanding of Hawaii’s natural and cultural history.
- promotes and facilitates an appreciation and interaction with nature, especially programs that are youth oriented.
It is the intent of the fund to give preference to entities who are based or whose work is performed in the communities where they operate tours.
We are affiliate partners with Hawaii Forest and Trail meaning that we receive a percentage for each successful booking made through our website. This happens without any additional charge to you! (read more on the use of those links on our website here).
By booking tours through our website you support LoveBigIsland.com and help us to provide you and future visitors with free and high quality information about the Big Island. Thanks, you guys are amazing!