If you are looking for a place to stay in Hilo and are passing through, a hotel is a good option. Keep in mind the option of vacation rentals though, especially if you want to use your hotel as a base to explore the surroundings (including Puna and the Hamakua coast).
Below we list our 5 favorite hotels in and around Hilo.
The Inn at Kulaniapia Falls
This Asian-style inn is located a few miles outside Hilo on the slopes of Mauna Kea. A great selling point for the inn is that they have the spectacular Kulaniapia waterfalls on property, and that they include the falls into on-site activities such a rappel down the waterfalls (link to video).
- Address: 100 Kulaniapia Dr, Hilo, Hawaii 96720
- Website: https://www.waterfall.net/
Dolphin Bay Hotel
Just a short walk from downtown Hilo, Dolphin Bay Hotel offers comfortable accommodations at a reasonable price. They are a small hotel catering to those who want to get out and see Hawaii. They pride themselves on being the nicest small hotel in the Hilo area”. Lots of repeat visitors.
- Address: 333 Iliahi St., Hilo, Hawaii 96720
- Website: http://www.dolphinbayhotel.com/
Arnott’s Lodge & Hiking Adventures
Sympathetic lodging with a range of accommodations from private bath, air-conditioned “en-suites” to backpacker dorms and tent spaces. They also organize a lot of activities and have negotiated large discounts for their guests on specialized tours.
- Address: 98 Apapane Road, Hilo, Hawaii 96720
- Website: https://www.arnottslodge.com/
SCP Hilo Hotel
Formerly known as the Seaside Hilo Hotel, this is a good mid-range authentic hotel with basic amenities and a great location in Hilo.
- Address: 126 Banyan Way, Hilo, Hawaii 96720
- Website: https://scphotel.com/hilo/
Small, affordable and centrally located inn close to the popular Hilo farmers market and at walking distance from many good restaurants and things to do in Hilo.
- Address: 132 Punahoa St, Hilo, Hawaii 96720
- Website: http://www.pakalanainn.com/