By visiting the Big Island and choosing to spend your money at local businesses you are helping to preserve our little piece of paradise. Mahalo (Hawaiian for “thank you”)!
If you want to leave another lasting imprint on the Big Island, please consider donating to one of our favorite local charities.
Charities with a focus on the preservation of Hawaiian nature
- The Waikoloa Dry Forest Initiative [link to their donations page] is a non-profit organization that manages a forest preserve and restoration project near Waikoloa Village on Hawai‘i Island. You can adopt a tree for as little as $10, but larger donations are of course also welcome.
- The Hawaii Volcanoes National Park [link to their “support us” page] can always use your support. Your donations will go to preserving and improving the park for the generations to come.
- The Kahalu‘u Bay Education Center [link to their donations page] educates visitors on proper reef etiquette and ecosystem stewardship. This is critical to the bay’s survival and the region’s economic health. They also offer volunteer programs such as ReefTeach and Citizen Science.
- The Pacific Whale Foundation [link to their donations page] is a non-profit organization founded in 1980 to save whales from extinction. Their mission is to protect our oceans through science and advocacy.
- The Hawaii Wildlife Fund [link to their donations page] leads research, monitoring and conservation efforts to help protect Hawai’i’s fragile marine ecosystem by actively engaging the community in research, education and conservation projects.
- The Kohala Center [link to the donations page] is an independent, community-based center for research, conservation, and education. Their main areas of interest are energy self-reliance, food self-reliance, and ecosystem health.
Charities with a focus on improving the lives of the local children
- The mission of “Project Hawaii” [link to their webpage] is to enhance the lives of homeless keiki (Hawaiian for “baby” or “child”. Literally, “keiki” means “the little one”) while helping them to escape the cycle of poverty. You can make the difference through donations, sponsorships, volunteering and supporting their efforts to continue those programs.
If you feel that we have forgotten about a charity that deserves our attention, please let us know by getting in touch.
How to support the lovebigisland website
The creation and maintenance of this website is a work of love. We don’t accept donations, but there are a few easy ways in which you can support us.