Tour Summary: The most in-depth volcano experience on the Island of Hawaiʻi! A national park certified guide shares a mix of natural and cultural history about the island’s formation, illuminating the stories behind the ever-changing landscape of our island home.
- On this in-depth park experience, your interpretive guide will illuminate the historic events that recently changed the landscape of Hawaii Volcanoes National Park forever.
- Enjoy 2-3 miles of hiking around the park’s most dynamic terrain
- Drive off-road to a private lava tube known for its bright yellow and gold microbial mats living on and accenting the cave walls. This lava tube is only accessible to Hawaii Forest & Trail guests
- Enjoy late afternoon pupu (appetizers) on the farm surrounding our exclusive lava tube, and a stop at world-famous Rainbow Falls in Hilo.
Important: Bring comfortable walking shoes, long pants, and a light jacket. Guests should be able to hike on uneven or rocky terrain (2 to 3 miles total hiking).
|(excluding booking fee)||$225||$200|
Tour Provider: Hawaii Forest and Trail
Tour start time: 7:30am
Duration: 10-12 hours
Departure from: Kailua Kona
Pick-up available? Yes! Trips depart from Kona with pickups in Waikoloa. More details available during the booking process during the "Where are you staying" step.
Included: Breakfast snacks, beverages, lunch, afternoon appetizers, National Park entrance fees, and water, are included.
Cancellations: Cancellations: Customers will receive a full refund with 48 hours notice of cancellation. Private tours: Customers will receive a full refund with 72 hours notice of cancellation. Cancellations within the cancellation period and “no-shows” will be charged the FULL AMOUNT of the tour.
Read more: about volcanoes on the Love Big Island website in our volcanoes guide.
Private Option Available: Volcano Unveiled is also available as an “Ohana Outing”. This private option is tailored to small to mid-sized parties who would like a private experience but do not necessarily need all the “bell & whistles” of a fully customized private tour, and is priced at $1,500 for up to 4 people and $178 for additional guests. Maximum of 9 guests per van.
Book as an Ohana Outing
Hawaii Forest & Trail takes the following steps to prioritize the health and safety of their visitors and staff:
Based on guidance and requirements by the State of Hawaii and CDC the following health and safety requirements will need to be met in order to join any Hawaii Forest & Trail tour:
- Proof of a negative COVID-19 test through the Hawaii Safe Travel Program or proof of 14 day quarantine (airline generated flight itinerary) Test results must be presented upon check-in.
- Health Questionnaire and temperature check with contactless infrared thermometer completed prior to your participation
- Face masks are required at all times in our vehicles and wherever social distancing is not possible. Guests agree to follow guide instructions.
- Small groups: Group sizes are limited to 9 guests.
- Guest time in the van has been minimized wherever possible. Pickup points closer to tour destinations have been added and are actively encouraged.
- Additional options for private family experiences have been added at a reduced rate.
- All vehicles and gear are sanitized following every tour using commercial grease sanitizing equipment with CDC approved sanitizers.
- All staff are required to complete a daily health screening and temperature check before starting their shift
- Face Masks are worn at all times in the vans and on the HF&T facility.
- Protocols to reduce contact between employees have been put in place
- Access to free COVID-19 testing is made available through the state of Hawaii.
The most in-depth volcano experience on the Island of Hawaii is back! Learn about the natural and cultural history of the volcanoes and about the island’s formation. A National Park Certified Guide will share a mix of illuminating the stories behind the ever-changing landscape of our island home during this 12 hour tour exclusively focused on volcanoes.
After a convenient pickup from select hotels on the Kona and Waikoloa coast you take a scenic drive on Saddle Road to the famous Hawaii Volcanoes National park for exploration and lunch. In the Hawaii Volcanoes National Park you visit the Kilauea Crater which was dramatically transformed in 2018 by the recent lava flows towards Fissure 8 and violent seismic activity in the area. This tour includes 2-3 miles of hiking around the park to explore on foot and get up close to the volcanic landscape. Your guide will explain what happened to the park and what it was like before it was forced to close in April 2018.
Afterwards you explore Kauhi cave, a magical lava tube with ceilings as high as 35 feet known for its bright yellow and gold microbial mats living on and accenting the cave walls, and finish with a pau hana (Hawaiian for “happy hour”) featuring locally-sourced appetizers.
Frequently Asked Questions:
You will hike for 2-3 miles at a location determined by park conditions that day.
Hawaii Forest & Trail is a highly respected local tour company that has operated on the Big Island since 1993. They have gained access to private and restricted lands and are widely recognized as a tour company that has passionate and knowledgeable interpretative guides, all of which translates into consistent stellar reviews from their past guests.
Hawaii Forest & Trail is fully certified by the Sustainable Tourism Association of Hawai’i. This means that their tours are eco-friendly, culturally educational and operate as sustainable as possible.
The HFT staff are picked to have strong academic backgrounds in biology, geology, Hawaiian culture and history, and extensive natural history field experience. It’s not enough for the guides to simply “know things”, they must also have a real passion for Hawaii’s natural world and enthusiasm for sharing it.
Giving back to the community
The vision of Hawaii Forest & Trail is to share the splendor of Hawai’i and inspire a deep connection with our natural world. They donate a small amount ($1 per guest) to a fund that makes donations to non-profit organizations whose mission and work aligns with at least one of the following criteria:
- benefits the conservation of Hawaii’s native ecosystems, species and landscapes.
- promulgates the understanding and practice of Hawaiian culture and the dissemination and understanding of Hawaii’s natural and cultural history.
- promotes and facilitates an appreciation and interaction with nature, especially programs that are youth oriented.
It is the intent of the fund to give preference to entities who are based or whose work is performed in the communities where they operate tours.
We are affiliate partners with Hawaii Forest and Trail meaning that we receive a percentage for each successful booking made through our website. This happens without any additional charge to you! (read more on the use of those links on our website here).
By booking tours through our website you support LoveBigIsland.com and help us to provide you and future visitors with free and high quality information about the Big Island. Thanks, you guys are amazing!